Slippers are light and comfortable footwear that is easy to put on and put off. They are typically worn indoors. Moccasins are also slippers, but they are made of leather or deerskin. Their style originates from Native American Indians and is intended for outdoor use.
It’s even common nowadays to find a combination of slippers and moccasins.
Unfortunately, there is plenty of low-quality, mass-produced products being sold because they are not made in America. Many companies choose to outsource manufacturing to lower production costs and increase their profits.
Only a few products are 100% handmade in the USA.
In this post, we’ve searched high and low to deliver you a list of the best slippers and moccasins made in the USA. After all, it’s hard to beat the quality of the original handmade products made in America, with styles originating from Native American Indians.
Best Slippers and Moccasins Made in the USA
After plenty of research and testing, we’ve found 5 brands that stood out to us.
We’ve eliminated brands with low-quality materials so you can have peace of mind knowing that the products below are high quality. Here are the best slippers and moccasins made in the USA:
1. Teepee Creepers by Aspen Company
Let’s start with our favorite pair of moccasins: Teepee Creepers by Aspen Company.
Not only are Teepee Creepers the best overall, but they are also the best sheepskin slippers made in the USA in our opinion.
These genuine sheepskin moccasins are the best made in America option available because they are perfect for year-round comfort. In fact, they are so comfy because they keep your feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
The name “Teepee Creeper” was first coined by founder Ben Langworthy who designed and built the first pair of Teepee Creepers over 35 years ago. Since then, many brands have copied the style of the iconic sheepskin slippers, but none can match the true original.
You can imagine how cozy it is to slip into a pair of Teepee Creepers and sit by the fireplace while enjoying a hot cup of cocoa. Or, you can lounge on the patio while sipping a cup of wine, all the while your feet stay warm thanks to the soft and supple pair of these slippers.
Arguably the biggest highlight of these slippers is the sheepskin material found around the ankles. They are so soft, supple, and amazingly pillowy, so they hug your feet ever so gently, providing you with an unbeatable feeling of coziness.
However, just remember to keep the leather bowstring tied, because they can become a tripping hazard should they become undone. Other than that, you’re good to go!
Most of the slippers we’ve bought are made in China, so it’s refreshing to put on merchandise that is made in the USA. In fact, many people commented that Teepee Creepers are the coziest and most comfortable pair of slippers/moccasins in the world.
Sheepskin Leather and Fur Teepee Creeper Moccasin Slippers (browse colors on Amazon):
Final verdict: Teepee Creepers are hands down, the best slippers/moccasins made in the USA. They are handmade in America with soft and supple sheepskin, which keeps your feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They truly are a “treat for your feet”.
2. Itasca Leathergoods
Coming in at second place is the moccasins from Itasca Leathergoods.
Itasca specializes in moccasins, but they don’t just sell moccasins. They also sell leather belts, leather handbags, placemats, heritage-style bags, and leather bracelets. All of their products are handcrafted, one at a time, in their original Factory Store in northern Minnesota.
We really like their moccasins because their collection ranges extensively from men, women, children, all the way to infants and toddlers. Out of all their moccasins, two products that stood out to us the most are the Sinsinawa and Hatchie moccasins.
The Sinsinawa is made of a thick buffalo hide with a beautiful natural grain pattern (especially the black color), which varies in size throughout the hide. They are very comfy and take little time to break into because they conform to the shape of your feet immediately.
While the thick hide is hefty, they are soft enough for your feet.
In fact, we think that they are a great alternative to flip-flops, sandals, and athletic shoes because they are incredibly comfortable with a true barefoot feel. You can wear them indoors/outdoors, through the seasons and throughout the year.
On the other hand, the Hatchie is a combination of a moccasin and a boot. It is a 6” hiking-style boot with a canoe-style sole, so although it’s a boot, it provides the same comfortable barefoot feel of a moccasin. The Hatchie is very versatile and can be worn for hiking too.
The sole is made of buffalo for durability and longer wear, while the uppers are made of cowhide leather. They can be worn all year round, especially from spring to fall, but they are not best for winter because the leather soles can be quite slippery on snow and ice.
Surprisingly, they don’t make your feet sweat a lot. In fact, we have one friend in Arizona who likes to wear the Hatchie without socks but his feet stay dry all the time. However, it may be because his area is dry, so it could be different in more humid areas.
For a stylish American look, you can wear them with denim or cargo shorts, with or without socks. You can even let the tongue flap over for an effortlessly cool look. But if you want more stability for hiking, lacing them all the way up is the best way to wear them.
Final verdict: Handcrafted in Minnesota, Itasca Leathergoods is what American-made is all about. They make some of the best made in the USA slippers and moccasins thanks to their high-quality leather and expert craftsmanship, which is perfect for year-round comfort.
3. Janska MocSocks
If you need a cozy and warm pair of indoor slippers, the best option is Janska MocSocks.
With a double layer of fleece, even on the soles, the Janska MocSocks is an amazing American-made product that is a cure for cold feet and ankles. You can easily wear them at home, in bed, or even inside your shoes to stay warm, dry, and happy.
There are two things we like about the Janska MocSocks. First, the bottom of the socks is skid-resistant, giving you extra grip that regular socks won’t. Secondly, the exterior-facing seams ensure the MocSocks are soft on sensitive skin.
Additionally, the MocSocks are unisex, making them ideal for both men and women. They are also easy to put on and take off, even for hospital patients or people with limited mobility, so the MocSocks are the perfect gift for the entire family and loved ones.
In terms of material, it’s made with soft and breathable moisture-wicking fleece fabric that is ultra-gentle on your skin. You can imagine cozying up at home during winter in these wonderful American-made slippers, right? And the best part is, they are easily washable.
As simple as slippers may be, products made in the USA, especially the Janska MocSocks, are worlds apart in terms of quality than lower-quality, mass-produced products. You can tell the difference immediately as you slip into the cozy and heavenly pair of MocSocks.
You’ll be surprised that these American-made slippers with this high of quality are available for such an affordable price. You can make the whole family cozy and warm with these.
Janka MocSocks (browse colors on Amazon):
Final verdict: What more can we say? It’s cozy, it’s warm, and it is made in the USA. The Janska MocSocks is one of the best slippers made in America because of its skid-resistant soles and ultra-soft, breathable, moisture-wicking fleece fabric.
Going back to the leather moccasins theme, we have a brand that has stood the test of time.
It’s set the industry standard for over 170 years, treasured by historical figures like Presidents Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Hemingway, and even Grandpa Jones.
Gokey is proud that each moccasin pair is 100% made in the USA, hand-stitched by a craftsman who trained at least five years to learn their trade. Nothing is outsourced, nothing is imported, and they do it all themselves in Tipton Missouri.
Out of all their moccasins, our favorite is definitely the Gokey Double Soc Moc. It is Gokey’s adaptation of the classic North American moccasin that is more than your average slipper.
It’s a pair of handcrafted moccasins made from the sole up with 5-6 oz. pebble grain bull hide. The Double Soc Moc, as its name suggests, has two layers of bottoms. The first is a thick leather bottom while the second layer is a double-stitched bull hide.
And to complete everything, the Double Soc Moc is made with a built-in insole pad, rolled leather collar, and exquisite rawhide laces.
What we like about these Mocs is that the construction is expertly handcrafted, meaning that the moccasins form to the contours of your feet as time goes by, while the leather and bull hide get better with age, just like fine wine.
In today’s era of mass-produced slippers and moccasins, Gokey is the true example of timeless craftsmanship. Each Gokey product is expertly hand-cut and hand-sewn with techniques dating back to previous generations — methods that take many years to master.
These techniques are apparent in the final product, as not only do the Gokey moccasins look visually stunning, but they are incredibly comfortable, especially when you first slip into them.
It’s easy to see why American historical figures love the Gokey moccasins.
Gokey Double Sole Moccasin (browse colors on Amazon):
Final verdict: Gokey is all about America’s timeless style and enduring quality. Their moccasins are more than just the average slippers because they are made with exquisite leather and bull hide, which will last for many years to come. Durable and comfortable.
5. Footwear by Footskins
Last but not least, we have another sheepskin slippers/moccasins to finish our list.
If we started the best American slippers and moccasins list with sheepskin, then it’s only fitting to end it with sheepskin too. Introducing the Footwear by Footskins American Made.
Footwear by Footskins is all about premium handmade deerskin and cowhide leather slippers and moccasins, all of which are American-made. Located in the Bluff Country of southeastern Minnesota’s Mississippi River Valley, they offer fine workmanship and quality.
The Footskins brand takes pride in handmade products where the best endure and prosper.
In fact, all of their moccasins are not mass-produced products since each pair is made by skilled hands. The attention to detail is apparent as you can see how neat the sewing is.
Out of all their products, their most popular one is the American Made Molded Sole Sheepskin Slippers. It’s made with soft deertan and natural sheepskin, all of which are 100% leather, made 100% in the USA. The flexible, non-slip soles are both glued and side-stitched.
It’s hard to find slippers with the combined quality of deertan leather and genuine sheepskin.
The deertan leather offers immense strength and durability, while the genuine sheepskin provides heavenly softness and suppleness to your feet.
The functional lace is a nice touch too. Even though the moccasin is slip-on style, the lace allows you to adjust the fit and snugness around the foot. But just like all slippers and moccasins with laces, be sure to lace them properly because you can trip if they are loose.
Footskins Sheepskin Slippers (browse on Amazon):
Final verdict: Footwear by Footskins believe in the free market system where the best products endure and prosper. Their belief is ingrained in each product, especially the Molded Sole Sheepskin Slippers, which are made with deertan leather and genuine sheepskin.
Complete List of Slippers and Moccasins Made in the USA
The above brands are the ones that we like the most. All of them are made in America.
However, if you want to check out the other brands, here’s the complete list of slippers and moccasins made in the USA (that we’ve found, arranged alphabetically):
- Arrow Moccasin Company – The company is based in Hudson, Massachusetts, where they make moccasins made of high-quality Swiss hides that are tanned in England using domestic and globally sourced materials.
- Buffalo Boot Trading Post – Each pair of custom moccasins are individually handcrafted by master leather craftsman, Tony “Talon” Derouin, with bison hide all made in Lake City, Minnesota using 100% domestic sourced materials.
- Donovan Slippers – Ballet-style, extremely low-cut slippers, handcrafted from lambskin uppers, with cow suede sole and lambskin chamois lining. Each pair has high-density foam insoles too for additional comfort.
- Eastland – Not all of their slippers and moccasins are made in America, but they do have the “Made in Maine” collection to commemorate the company’s 55th anniversary. This special collection is 100% made in Freeport, Maine.
- Footwear by Footskins – Located in Bluff Country of southeastern Minnesota’s Mississippi River Valley, Footwear by Footskins offers premium handmade deerskin and cowhide leather moccasin-style footwear, all of which are American made.
- Gokey – Each Gokey moccasin pair is 100% made in the USA, hand-stitched by a craftsman who trained at least five years. Nothing is outsourced, nothing is imported, and they do it all themselves in Tipton Missouri.
- Itasca Leathergoods – Itasca specializes in moccasins, but they don’t just sell moccasins. All of their products are handcrafted, one at a time, in their original Factory Store in northern Minnesota.
- Janska MocSocks – Unique slippers which can be worn indoors or outdoors, with or without shoes. They are made of skid-resistant soles and ultra soft, breathable, moisture-wicking fleece fabric. The product is 100% made in America.
- Manimal Moccasins – All of their pieces are crafted by hand from start to finish in New England. In order to use precious materials in the best way possible, all leather scraps are reworked within the Manimal family of products.
- North Star Trading Co. – Their sheepskin slippers and moccasins are made in Clinton, Washington using domestically sourced materials, all of which are made for men, women, and kids. They also sell handmade hats.
- Pierrepont Hicks – Launched in 2009 with only a small collection of neckties, Pierrepont Hicks have since expanded to creating handcrafted slippers and moccasins made in the USA. They are recognized by big media like NY Times, GQ, and Esquire.
- Quoddy – Unisex moccasins and boatshoes, handmade in Downeast Maine. Their moccasins are known for being light as a feather because they use the softest twin face shearling for comfort and insulation.
- Rancourt and Co. – Since 1967, the genuine handsewn moccasins of Rancourt and Co. has been recognized worldwide for being uniquely American. All of their footwear are made in Lewiston, Maine using domestic and globally sourced materials.
- Russell Moccasin Co. – Each pair of Russell moccasins is hand lasted, which means that the leather is stretched over a last that conforms to the shape of your foot, all of which are made in Berlin, Wisconsin from domestic and globally sourced materials.
- Shepherd’s Flock – A family-owned small company which specializes in sheepskin slippers made in the little town of Bellows Falls, Vermont. In fact, the brand started with two people who do it all, Rick and Kathy Hege.
- Softstar Shoes – Their ultra-soft moccasins and slippers are handmade with the highest quality materials, such as elk leather, Nubuck leather, suede, and cozy genuine sheepskin fleece, all of which are made in Philomath, Oregon.
- Steger Mukluks and Moccasins – The Steger Moosehide Moccasins are proudly made in Ely, Minnesota. They are twice as warm and less than half the weight of traditional winter boots, all of which have durable, flexible, and treaded rubber soles.
- Sundance Sheepskin and Leather – Their moccasins are made with either leather insoles or orthopedic foam for extra cushioning. Either way, their flexible soles make their moccasins unique, all of which are made in Guffey, Colorado.
- Teepee Creepers by Aspen Company – Claimed to be the first and original sheepskin slippers ever made, Teepee Creepers are treats for your feet because they are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- The Leather Works – A small company started in 1982 which specializes in All-American sheepskin slippers, which are available in three different soles. Not all of their products are made in the USA, only marked items are made in America.
- Wassookeag – Super soft, genuine handsewn slippers and moccasins made in Dexter, Maine. They use only the finest quality buffalo hide, bullhide, and cowhide leathers available domestically in America.
- WindWalkers – American-made sheepskin and leather boots and slippers, handcrafted in the USA from 100% domestic American materials. Their business is founded by Ms. Angél Fiorito and is currently located in Bodega Bay, California.
Did we miss any notable slipper and moccasin brands made in the USA? Or, are you an American brand that wants to be featured by us? If so, feel free to reach out right here. :).
Frequently Asked Questions:
When it comes to slippers and moccasins, especially ones made in the USA, people have many questions. So to help you find the best product, we’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions. We will continually add new questions if there are any.
1. How do leather slippers or moccasins fit?
All slippers and moccasins, including moccasin-style boots, fit true to size. They should fit snugly because the leather will stretch after several wears to conform to the shape of your feet.
If you plan to wear slippers or moccasins with socks, we recommend buying your standard shoe size. But, if you plan to wear them barefoot, it’s best to buy a one-half size smaller.
And there you have it, the list of the best slippers and moccasins made in the USA.
Our team had an amazing time researching each product, with each one carefully reviewed to ensure the best fit and comfort for you. If you have to choose one, we recommend the original Teepee Creepers by Aspen Company because they are perfect all year round.